Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Orange88
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Re: Earning it... really?
In reply to skanter, 7 months ago

skanter wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

It might seem like a terrible waste, but to use a parallel example, should someone well-heeled enough to buy a Lamborghini have to "earn" the privilege to do so by being professionally trained as a driver? Don't think so. I guess one can wish they had the same means.

The word "earned" may not have been the best, but it was the best I could come up with at the time. I think any intelligent person, even if wealthy, should realize that it might not be appropriate to spend huge amounts of money on expensive cameras and lenses without knowing the first the first thing about photography.

Again, i don't see it the same as buying expensive watches, clothes or cars. These are not tools for aesthetic expression. I do see a parallel to people who buy an $80,000 Steinway grand to play chopsticks. They have every right - but what a waste!

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

Many people consider clothing(including accessories such as watches) and cars to indeed be tools for aesthetic expression. The expression of one's personal style. Isn't the entire fashion industry based on that belief? You live in NYC, don't you? You must see this view there.

Orange88's gear list:Orange88's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow