Its official. Oly AF sucks!

Started Sep 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
rovingtim
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,136
Like?
not sure this is true
In reply to windsprite, Sep 15, 2013

windsprite wrote:

I do think what you say about the MP count "masking" bad focus is a possibility.

When the E1 first came out, this forum was populated by some very experienced photographers. None seemed to have significant AF issues. It wasn't as good at the D2H but when the E1 did lock it tended to be bang on.

For example, the E1 + 50-200 used to put the subject in the middle of the focus range. My E3 tends to put the subject on the edge of focus. So, technically, it is in focus, but the DoF immediately drops off one side or the other. This can cause all sorts of problems.

Perhaps I had a good E1 like Dobson has a good E3 -- though I wonder if his works because Portugal temperature is just right for the E3 focus module.

What I remember at the launch of the E3 is a lot of very competent photographers who were upgrading the E1 getting really frustrated. And regardless of 5mp or 10mp, you can tell where the middle of the DoF is -- if not on all pictures, you can certainly test for it.

I started a thread about the joys of the E3 SAF some time ago.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/39861390

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow