Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
windsprite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,991Gear list
Like?
Re: Its official. Oly AF sucks!
In reply to Louis_Dobson, 10 months ago

Louis_Dobson wrote:

windsprite wrote

You can't just accidentally switch over to AF-C and hope to have success on stationary subjects. There are other settings you need to change to make it work. I think that must be the case, anyway. It's hard to recall the settings, because like Dan I have not switched out of AF-C once in the past three years. It's one of the best things about shooting Nikon. Set the camera up right, and you never worry about switching over to AF-S or MF again. You can shoot a running athlete, and the next split second you can do a portrait, without changing any settings. Very useful.

Julie

I think this is the killer, and had you said that to me six or so years ago I'd have returned my second D3 for a third.

I only got the D700 3 1/2 years ago, but I WISH I could have said it to you six years ago.  I would have demanded my money back on the E-3 and never would have upgraded my 50-200 to the SWD version in the vain hope that the focus would be better!

Really, though, everything I said is just conventional wisdom on the Nikon forum.  The AF-ON method of sticking the camera in AF-C until death do you part is SOP over there.

I went to a great deal of time and trouble to set up C-AF properly on my D3, reading lots of articles and posts and asking other people who knew the camera well.

I know.  I read some of the threads.

There is no way I could have even considered leaving it in C-AF mode, it hunted and blew about 25% of static shots in good light, being slightly off, and 75% of shots in bad light, being miles off.
Eva (who never reads here any more, so I can tell tales without getting into trouble) backed me up at a wedding shoot with her E3 this Summer, and left the E-3 in C-AF. After my Nikon experiences I was, um, disappointed she made such a basic error on a paid shoot, but they were all fine and I had to apologise to her...

Hmmm.  Well, that is too bad about the D3, but as frustrating as it must have been, maybe in the end it was better for you and me both that we had intractable camera troubles.  You wound up going m4/3, and I wound up going Nikon, and now we are both happy as clams, no?

Julie

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +36 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow