Hello, I'm coming into the D800 fold. My 1st full-frame DSLR! So excited!

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
huyzer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,746Gear list
Like?
Re: Short answer
In reply to Grevture, 10 months ago

Grevture wrote:

huyzer wrote:

P.S. Here's a noobish question, of which I'm just verifying. But, all the Menu settings under the second icon (the camera), only affects the Jpegs, not the .NEF raws, correct? Raw is just that, without any adjustments such as Color Space, Active D-Lighting, Vignette Control, Long Exposure NR, High ISO NR.

Yep, only affects jpeg. Raw files will remain the same, ignoring these settings.

Though, I do wonder about the White Balance. Perhaps that does get written in, and then it defaults to it in LightRoom/Camera Raw/Photoshop.

If you use Nikons own Capture NX for raw conversions, it uses all the above settings as default adjustments to a raw file. Third party software, like LR and ACR ignores them completely and makes its own analysis for white balance.

Oh! Thank you so much for explaining what happens behind the scenes. This proves useful and informative.

The settings will however affect the small jpeg image which is embedded into the raw file. This mean the settings effect what you see at the camera screen, and it also effects the histograms displayed in the camera (sonce those are calculated on the jpg, not the raw data). And also note that LR and ACR very briefly (usually less then a second) display this jpg when you look at a newly imported raw file, then the image flips to their own preview, created from the raw file by LR/ACR.

Oh!  Then I think I will set my contrast to as low as possible, to see if I have all the details in the shadows and highlights.

And regarding LR.  So that's why I see that brief flash/change in the saturation of my images at the beginning.  Thanks!

Take care,
Huy

huyzer's gear list:huyzer's gear list
Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow