Senior MemberPosts: 1,022Gear list
Like?
Re: Prices and Taxes
In reply to eques, 11 months ago

eques wrote:

Optical1 wrote:

eques wrote:

RealPancho wrote:

I don’t expect Olympus to read this and react, but I think it will help me feel better to vent. I am extremely irritated that Olympus is not offering the E-M1 & 12-40 2.8 as a kit in the USA. To my UK and European friends, please don’t misread me. This isn’t a nationalist thing, like I’m jealous that YOU people are getting something we’re not. And it isn’t entirely the cost-savings aspect that bothers me, although that is a factor.

Perhaps this helps: the combination here costs about 2300 EUR, which is 3050 USD.

Peter

It looks like Amazon DE has the kit for 2200 EUR, but that also includes VAT, which is not included in our prices. A bit of apples and oranges. Drop off the VAT and the price is much closer to $2340, which it much better than the price seperately.

Amercan prices are before VAT? I know there are taxes varying from town to town, but does this also apply to amazon.us?

Yep.  Our tax rate isn't as high as the European VAT, but we pay a sales tax on every purchase. There are exceptions for interstate commerce that do not pay state sales tax, but sales tax is charged on all purchases if the company does business in that state.  Ordering from Olympus or Panasonic direct, for example, is charged sales tax because they have reps in each state.  This also applies if Amazon has a distribution center, etc.  Many states are closing the loopholes that have allowed purchases to be made without paying sales tax, but it varies from state to state.

I'm not arguing that you have better pricing in the EU, just that it is calculated differently, and that the kit will entice more buyers.

Plus, wouldn't you EU buyers like a US kit to buy when you visit?

Isn't that difficult, if you have no address in the US? I should think that brick and mortar shops don't have the best prices. And If that works, I think warranty might be a problem.

I got my 1,7/20 in San Francisco, but this was sort of an emergancy: my daughter had started using the back up body during the holiday and left me without a standard FL lens. And I was lucky, there were no problems with that lens yet.

I was mostly kidding.  I do have friends in the EU that go on a massive shopping spree when they come here due to the difference in exchange rate, and American pricing.

Peter.

Optical1's gear list:Optical1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Ricoh GR Olympus PEN E-PM1 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow