Its official. Oly AF sucks!

Started Sep 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
rovingtim
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,013
Like?
DPReview also says
In reply to erichK, Sep 15, 2013

"Having gone back and spent some more time with an Olympus E-5, I'm inclined to be more positive about the E-M1's behavior with Four Thirds lenses - not because it's better than I originally stated, but because the E-5 isn't as good as I'd previously thought. Consequently, E-5 users expectations are probably lower than I originally believed."

You are right that it doesn't "suck", but it's not as good as, for example, the D300. Once you get accustomed to the D300 AF reliability, the E3/E5's restricted capabilities comes as a bit of a shock. On the other hand, if you operate within the Olympus limitations, good photographs are possible.

The reason for Big Ga's exaggeration, I imagine, is that the people who noticed the E3/E5 focus module and sensor deficiencies were slammed by this forum. These attacks were especially vehement immediately after the release of the E3 (just ask rriley and John King, frequent leaders of the attack gang ... later taken up by Pris). It is a memorable thing to have a group of people who are wrong ganging up on you to shut you up. They even tried (and sometimes succeeded) to evoke the moderators.

In the real world, this forum was demanding we leave because we were right. Demanding we shut up because we are right. Demanding we stop posting our view because we were right.

The whiners we were called. What could we know that the Olympus camera execs didn't? The success of the E5 was going to revive the entire camera division we were told. Just stop the doom and gloom so the rest of the forum could bathe in its right and proper 4/3rds euphoria.

Thus it was in this forum for many years after the E3 release.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow