How many GH3 owners considering OMD EM1

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
robonrome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,255Gear list
Like?
Re: How many GH3 owners considering OMD EM1
In reply to Sergey Borachev, 11 months ago

Sergey Borachev wrote:

The response to what is an innocent question is unbelievable. So negative and defensive! I suspect it would be the same response if someone should pose a question to DSLR users whether they are considering M43.

Of course video is important to people who bought the GH3 but I don't believe that all GH3 owners shoot video all the time and seldom shoot stills.

For a GH3 user, an E-M1, which does not necessarily mean a replacement for the GH3, but an additional camera, provides many advantages. There are 10 of them:

1. A much better EVF. It's large, better quality, and glass wearer friendly.

2. 1/8000 sec shutter

3. Better weatherproofing (freezing)

4. Better build though lighter

5. Better IQ with no AA filter (no solid proof yet but even E-M5 is better then GH3)

6. Use of super high grade 43 lenses

7. Better AF

8. 5-axis IBIS (ability to use of ALL mounted lenses with stabilisation)

9. Focus Peaking

10. Better continuous shooting

Relax GH3 users, those who do not see anything special about the E-M1. Nobody is forcing you to buy it.

Sergey, the OP question was how many GH3 owners are considering the EM1 and so people answered to that question.

On your list above I think a lot has yet to be established and wont be known with any certainty until these get in the hands of consumers ...for e.g. "better build".. the "better IQ" is speculative and claims that em5 already is better are highly dubious...certainly there is no material difference that's going to make the difference in any photo. Many of the advantages you've listed wouldn't even rate a mention in my own personal list or in many others... actually just 1.... number 1 better EVF would... number 8 IBIS would be nice but as i have 12-35 and 35-100 which I use 90% of the time, not so much. The rest I either don't buy or don't care... at all. What I do note as missing that would be on my list is the fully articulating screen and long battery life...there is also the fact it takes a good while to really learn how to use a camera properly and have it configured the way it suits a person's style. I don't doubt the EM1 is a great camera, but if I wanted a second body it would make more sense to get anther GH3 - one less battery charger, ease of moving between bodies etc.

robonrome's gear list:robonrome's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BIFNew
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow