Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
skanter
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,415Gear list
Re: Rockwell's Target Audience
In reply to meland, 10 months ago

meland wrote:

skanter wrote:

People certainly have a right spend large sums of money on equipment and use it however they want. But I find it inappropriate for people with little understanding of the creative aspects of photography to buy expensive, top flight equipment. Some people buy gear and just keep testing it, without taking any real photos. What's the point? Just collecting high-tech toys? One needn't be a "great artist" to start learning about the principles of composition, and what makes a good photograph.

IMO people should "earn" the quality of equipment they use by putting in the time and effort needed to achieve some level of skill and understanding.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

Well Sam, does that also apply to people who buy expensive fast cars, i.e they should 'earn' the right to drive such vehicles? Or to people who buy expensive watches. How do they 'earn' the right? Tell the time better? Or people who wear handmade suits? How do they 'earn' the right? Go to deportment classes or learn to look like Brad Pitt?

I think you'll find that most of these people have 'earned' the right to buy this stuff and do what the hell they want with it by having earned the money in order to do so.

Cars, watches and clothes are not in the same category as cameras. Only cameras are tools designed to achieve an aesthetic goal, and take a considerable amount of skill, creativity and experience to achieve that goal.

The word "earn" was in quotes. Of course, anyone can buy anything they want, but a novice who buys the most expensive gear and isn't willing to work at it is, in my opinion, foolish, inappropriate, and wasting his time in thinking he will achieve success in photography. If he wants an expensive toy, fine, but I don't have to like it.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow