Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,615Gear list
Re: Earning it... really?
In reply to Jerry-astro, 11 months ago

Jerry-astro wrote:

skanter wrote:

People certainly have a right spend large sums of money on equipment and use it however they want. But I find it inappropriate for people with little understanding of the creative aspects of photography to buy expensive, top flight equipment. Some people buy gear and just keep testing it, without taking any real photos. What's the point? Just collecting high-tech toys? One needn't be a "great artist" to start learning about the principles of composition, and what makes a good photograph.

IMO people should "earn" the quality of equipment they use by putting in the time and effort needed to achieve some level of skill and understanding.

Sam, I agree that there are an awful lot of people out there with near zero skills who buy expensive equipment because they can and really haven't a notion how to use it. That said, your comment about "earning" the quality of equipment comes across as elitist and arrogant, though I doubt you meant it that way. Frankly, people can spend as much as they want on camera equipment and it's no business of yours or mine. It might seem like a terrible waste, but to use a parallel example, should someone well-heeled enough to buy a Lamborghini have to "earn" the privilege to do so by being professionally trained as a driver? Don't think so. I guess one can wish they had the same means.

Ummm, well actually, Yes!

Lamborghini winner crashes just hours after he won the expensive sports car

High end sports cars like pro cameras aren't meant to take care of everything for you. Good sports cars don't understeer like everyday cars. You need to know how to drive them.

And actually the Lamborghini can kill someone. That's much less likely with a camera.

In my own case, when I started with DSLRs over 10 years ago (Canon 10D), I probably bought well above my skill level. For a lot time, my subject matter (mostly vacation shots) could easily have been handled by a decent P&S. But, having the additional features encouraged me to learn more about photography and all the features I really hadn't been using. While my skills are probably below many (if not most) of the enthusiasts populating this forum, I feel like I grew into my camera over time. Maybe that's your notion of earning it, however, sometimes you put yourself into a better position to do so by buying a little above your needs and growing into it.

Back to the OP's topic: far as Rockwell goes... a total blowhard IMHO. The only time I visit his site is when someone posts a link (such as this thread) and I decide to waste a little more time reading his blather. Good for a laugh... little more IMHO.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +23 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow