Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hiker Dood
Junior MemberPosts: 35Gear list
Like?
DMC-FZ70 Lens Hood - Semi Homemade
11 months ago

I recently got my paws on an FZ70 but it doesn't come with a lens hood.  It's not even offered as an accessory, probably because at 20 mm zoom almost any hood will vignette.  Being the stubborn cuss that I am I decided to see what I could do and this is what I came up with.

Parts:

1 Sunpak CF-7033-UV 55 mm UV filter

1 Bower HRW55 wide angle lens hood

Glue - I like Loctite Repair Extreme All Temprature

Steps: remove the rubber lens hood from the metal ring that threads onto the lend.  It's too deep and will cause vignetting (trust me, I tried it).  Carefully fit the rubber hood onto the Sunpak UV filter.  Be careful to position it so that it doesn't vignette.  Apply a thin bead of glue using a toothpick or end of a paper clip both inside and outside of where the hood meets the filter.  Position it on the camera and make sure it doesn't vignette.  Carefully remove it and let the glue set completely.  And you have this.  I also used a piece of EZPass Velcro to secure the lens cap when not in use.  Works great and doesn't wear out.

Ta-daaaaaaaa!

-- hide signature --

Jeff
The Hiker Dood

Hiker Dood's gear list:Hiker Dood's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow