Its official. Oly AF sucks!

Started Sep 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,390
Like?
Re: Its official. Oly AF sucks!
In reply to windsprite, Sep 14, 2013

windsprite wrote

You can't just accidentally switch over to AF-C and hope to have success on stationary subjects. There are other settings you need to change to make it work. I think that must be the case, anyway. It's hard to recall the settings, because like Dan I have not switched out of AF-C once in the past three years. It's one of the best things about shooting Nikon. Set the camera up right, and you never worry about switching over to AF-S or MF again. You can shoot a running athlete, and the next split second you can do a portrait, without changing any settings. Very useful.

Julie

I think this is the killer, and had you said that to me six or so years ago I'd have returned my second D3 for a third.
I went to a great deal of time and trouble to set up C-AF properly on my D3, reading lots of articles and posts and asking other people who knew the camera well.
There is no way I could have even considered leaving it in C-AF mode, it hunted and blew about 25% of static shots in good light, being slightly off, and 75% of shots in bad light, being miles off.
Eva (who never reads here any more, so I can tell tales without getting into trouble) backed me up at a wedding shoot with her E3 this Summer, and left the E-3 in C-AF.  After my Nikon experiences I was, um, disappointed she made such a basic error on a paid shoot, but they were all fine and I had to apologise to her...

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow