Why so few '50mm f1.4' equiv lenses for OM-D system?

Started Sep 14, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nikstanbridge
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Why so few '50mm f1.4' equiv lenses for OM-D system?
Sep 14, 2013

After a lifetime of SLR ownership that started with a s/h OM-1 bought in 1981 for £100 (I was a student... that was a LOT of money) I'm moving on and minimalising. And selling my 5D (and 4 lenses). And I'm moving to MFT (or similar... X-Pro1 mebbe).

What I can't fathom though is that there is a dearth of 'standard' lenses for the OM-D system (I'm looking at the EM1 here etc). Assuming that what I want is a 25mm lens, why doesn't Olympus offer one (for starters)?

I know that I can get an adaptor and fit 'any' lens... but that's a compromise surely?

The product manager at Olympus will have made a conscious decision not to offer a 25mm lens. Why?  I want my new system to be based on prime lenses. Is this then not the system for me?

The X-Pro1 system (not mft I know) is well served with prime lenses (or, more realistically, those guys are all talking about how to add weird and wonderful primes to the X system cameras).

Where to go from here?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow