Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Clyde Thomas
Regular MemberPosts: 412
Like?
A question for a57 and a65 owners.
7 months ago

I'm excited at all the great deals of a57's and a65's soon to come. It's helped me to determine sticking with the a900 for now, and not getting an a99 specifically because it cannot do something that I want.

The a99 (and perhaps a77?) rear LCD prevents vertical waist level viewing when camera is rotated to the right, with grip down. For some strange reason, the a99 turned right, with LCD extended left (from bottom of camera) flips the view upside down when in this position. The camera requires waist level vertical shooting in the proper vertical position, as if the grip were attached.

OK that's fine for those who like that, but what about the a57 and a65? Those cams don't have the fully articulated LCD. So can you turn camera right for vertical, and flip LCD out left and still retain right side up image? I want to shoot this way to hold camera in my right palm with thumb on trigger. I'm thinking it would be great with a hoodman lupe too, reminiscent of shooting with my old Hassy or Fuji GX.

Now I'd much rather Sony had the standard flip out screens like CaNoSonic. Then vertical shooting would place LCD directly atop lens. This seems more comfortable and efficient to me, to emulate the medium format waist level shooting vibe. But Sony doesn't offer that type of view. So my only hope is that a57 and a65 will provide the next best solution.

Anybody know if this is possible?

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Here to help. Here to learn.

Sony SLT-A57 Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow