More on PS CC and 10 bits per channel (30 bit mode)

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,709Gear list
Like?
More on PS CC and 10 bits per channel (30 bit mode)
10 months ago

I added this to another older thread but am afraid it will get lost there. I am re submitting it to possibly get further attention.

It seems that PS CC can work in higher than 8 bit per channel but cannot open a psd file that has higher than 8 bits per channel and display higher than 8 bits per channel for that file.

An experiment; in PS CS6 create a 16 or 32 bit mode file and create a linear ramp from black to white. Adjust the exposure to show mostly black to mid gray. Doing this the ramp is smooth viewed on my 30 bit monitor. If I move the PS window to either of the other two 24 bit monitors the steps in the ramp are seen. (I should explain I have a 3 monitor system with the desktop spread across all three.)

Save the file as a psd and open in PS CC. PS CC will be in 16 or 32 bit mode but the ramp will have the steps visible on the 30 bit monitor and 24 bit monitors. The comparison is that the same file viewed using PS CS6 has the ramp smooth on the 30 bit monitor and stepped on the 24 bit monitors. This says to me PS CC cannot display properly an opened file that contains more than 8 bits per channel (PS 8 bit mode). However it can work in its higher modes of 16 and 32 bits per channel.

I am also in discussion with this on the Adobe Community PS forum where a "moderator" is adamant that PS CC works fine in higher than 8 bit mode and can handle 10 bit files. But that is not the same as it opening a 10 bit psd file and displaying it properly. That may be the problem we are all seeing opening the 10 bit test ramp psd.

-- hide signature --

Just a very serious amateur for over 55 years.

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow