EOS-M: Stage Performance - Nice Results (PICS)

Started Sep 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,043Gear list
Like?
EOS-M: Stage Performance - Nice Results (PICS)
Sep 14, 2013

Last year I used the G1X to capture the previous year's event, an example you can see HERE - and whilst I was pretty happy with the results at the time, I was completely taken aback with the results that I captured from exactly the same position last night. The results from the EOS-M were much sharper and more vibrant than those from the G1X. This time I brought a monopod with me because standing up and holding your camera in front of you for an hour or more is going to make your arms tired pretty quickly. The monopod would make litte difference to picture quality because I was generally shooting between 1/320sec and 1/500sec - which is fast enough to shoot handheld with little or no chance of blur.

• Equipment: Canon EOS-M + Canon EF 135mmL lens
  • Settings: Tv Mode + ISO 1600 + JPEG
  • Editing: Lightroom4 (minor noise reduction, color vibrancy tweak)

Each sequence had its own music and performance. The shot of the sultan was amazingly detailed and it was a shame to have to shrink it down during editing. I took 1,917 shots and only changed the battery when I saw the charge level drop by one bar on the LCD. I had to master a quick battery change in the dark plus an under-the-arm lens change after the event finished. Since the event has posters up stating 'no photography', I dressed in black to resemble the official film production crew and stood with my back to a wall, chewing gum (which can sometimes have an intimidating psychological effect on some people) and stuck one of my iPod earbuds into one of my ears to make it look like I was part of the studio setup - They were filming the event to produce a DVD to sell next year. But nobody bothered me.

I was surprised (and happy) with the results considering that I had no zoom with this lens and had to frame everything as best I could as things appeared on stage. Most of the characters were dancing or running about so I was again surprised to capture some of the shots that I did without a DSLR. The costumers, artists, performers and dancers never get to see how their efforts appear on stage from the perspective of the audiences so they've been in touch with me most of today to ask for images.

These were all shot from the same location: with my back against the far wall of the building. When there were 15 people on stage I wasn't able to capture them all due to the use of a Prime Lens but the shots I got were what I was after.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III +7 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow