Started Sep 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Nikon D700
New MemberPosts: 22Gear list
Like?
Re: How many GH3 owners considering OMD EM1
In reply to MPA1, Sep 14, 2013

MPA1 wrote:

Nikon D700 wrote:

For thoes of you that own the Panasonic GH3, I'm curious to know how many of you are considering purchasing the OMD EM1 and why?

I'm considering purchasing 2 EM 1's and getting rid of 2 Nikon D3s bodies and a GH3.

Why? Because there is now, I suspect, much further to climb up the Tree Of Diminishing Returns before I could honestly say that the advantages of the others outweighed the disadvantages of the EM1.

Obviously so far this is theoretical - there are no EM1's in NZ (although I have approached the Olympus agent to discuss this and am waiting to hear from him) so I cannot base this on more than all the initial reviews etc.

However the availability of both excellent M43 lenses AND the much better AF of the excellent Olympus 4/3 lenses make this body a definite possibility when combined with IBIS, weight and bulk savings, lower replacement costs and insurance premiums and easier transport internationally. To be able to properly use the 7-14 f4 for example makes it a more useful professional option to me as it provides a possible alternative to the Nikkor 14-24 2.8 - although I wish the Olympus option was f2.8 as well.

Yes, IQ will be better in some ways on larger sensors and yes, high ISO would be MUCH better on a D4 or EOS 1 Dx. But just look at the cost of a system based on two of those: It would cost me NZ$16,000 to buy two D4 bodies weighing in at around 2.5 kg with no lenses on board. A couple of pro grade 2.8 zooms will easily double that. Adding the Holy Trinity of 2,8 pro zooms, batteries, flashes, chargers etc etc will get closer to 10Kg of kit and a $30,000 investment. A very comprehensive EM 1 kit would cost less half that or less and weigh a lot less, as well as having a lot less bulk.

The GH3 was my initial foray into M43 and whilst I liked most of it, it is too video oriented for my personal taste, the buttons are too easy to press accidentally, making it awkward in the fast paced shooting I like because I miss shots as the camera is suddenly in menu mode or AF selection mode or something, the card door closure is hopeless and needs gaffer tape to keep it shut, it lacks the mode dial lock of the EM1 which is more useful than many will give credit for - the GH3 was often in a different mode when pulled from the bag than it was left in when I put it away simply because the dial caught on something going into or coming out of the bag which, like the non-locking buttons, results in delay and lost shots as you realise you just videod something instead of shooting stills of it etc etc.

For a still shooter, the EM-1 looks to be a better designed body, with an IQ and design bias towards stills which suits me better.

Thanks for the replying. I've been a huge Nikon fan a shooter for years, but have now fallen in love with my GH3 and GX1. I haven't experienced many accidental button changes, but I am concern about the durability of the flip out screen. I'm very interested in the AF system of the EM1, so I can't wait for the reviews to come. I was afraid I'd miss my Nikon D700, but it's just collecting dust. I find this all very exciting and interesting.

Nikon D700's gear list:Nikon D700's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BIFNew
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow