Hello, I'm coming into the D800 fold. My 1st full-frame DSLR! So excited!

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Grevture
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,883Gear list
Like?
You are in for a treat :-)
In reply to huyzer, 10 months ago

huyzer wrote:

Woooohooooo! I got the camera. Talk about UPS sticking to their word about "Delivery by the end of the day". Their work hour ends at 7:00 p.m., and the guy was at my door at around 7:07 p.m. Haha!

Service up and beyond duty

Sooo, I have a 2GB card that in the S5 Pro would give me 65 images (RAW+Fine Jpeg). Well, I set the D800 to write the .NEF to the CF (2GB), and the Jpeg to the SD card. My CF will only handle 23 pictures/.NEFs.

Keep in mind the count the camera displays is sort of 'worst case scenario', and usually you actually get 1.5 or 2 times as many images on the card.

The reason for this discrepancy is that unlike Fujifilm, Nikon uses a rather efficient compression (lossless) of the raw files, meaning the file sizes will vary considerably depending on what is in the image (a image with lots of blue skye will for example compress a lot more then a image with large areas filled with detailsi). And the count you see is based on the largest possible files.

Haha! I don't mind, because now I'm back in the film days mindset, and trying to make every image count. There's a positive to that, but I also saw a negative. I was photographing my great-niece that was visiting, and I was not decisive enough, as I was waiting for that perfect time/focus/composition. She's almost 3 years old (2 more months till), and she didn't stick around for the shot. lol.

Having such huge files, and filling up 2GB so fast, I'm going to have to pace myself, as hard drives will fill up fast. :\

Again, considering you probably got 25 megabyte raw files from your S5 Pro, the ~35 megabyte files from the D800 will only mean roughly 40% more storage needs

Now, it's time to look at the RAWs, and see how they are. Also, I have to test the left focus point, and read up some more on what types of lens and aperture affects it the most.

My first order of business with AF would rather be to get to know it. The AF system in the D800 is generally speaking easy to use, and it is one of the very best systems out there - the same as in the professional sports/PJ D4 and fairly close in performance to Canons top AF system (the one used in Eos 1Dx and Eos 5D Mk3). So you now have one of the best AF systems on the market at your disposal.

Its overall behaviour should not be very different from the one you had in S5 Pro (which is the same AF as the Nikon D200), but it has some more settings, and if you accidentally get it into automatic mode, its behaviour can appear confusing

Good luck, and happy shooting!

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow