Started Sep 14, 2013 | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
davidrm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,346
Like?
E-5 in Antarctica
Sep 14, 2013

Back in January I spent two weeks on an Antarctic cruise.  For what it's worth, there were about 85 passengers on board, and only 1 (me) had an Olympus brand camera.  Now & then I wished it was a little less cumbersome, but then when I saw how much more cumbersome Canikons with equivalent lenses were, and how many of those when kaput in the rain, seaspray and snow, well I felt a little happier.  And although my photography is not to everybody's taste, I can't say that any deficiencies are down to the E-5, 12-60, 50-200 and 150 lenses.

If I was going again tomorrow, the E-5 would be just fine.

AF-C worked fine here. Who says penguins can't fly, and Olympus can't do AF ?

On the same trip I spent about a month travelling around in Argentina, and there I really sometimes regretted not bringing my m43 kit (or buying an E-M5 as I considered) instead. But even then, there were times when the long, fast telephoto range of 4/3 was irreplaceable.  Just in cities, I prefer something more discrete.

Would a Nikon D800E with similar grade lenses have been better ?  No, because if I'd bought that I wouldn't have been able to afford the trip.  And it wouldn't have fitted in an Aerolineas Argentinas carry-on approved bag.

Conclusion: if you really need the features that an E-5 provides, it's worth the trade-offs.

-- hide signature --

Blogs and galleries at http://www.snowhenge.net
E-System photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowhenge/

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow