ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tom Hoots
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,746
Like?
Best Buy NX300 / tablet deal
11 months ago

Folks,

Well, I've just joined the Samsung camp, with the new NX300 I picked up from Best Buy this morning. It was quite a strange deal........

I had checked out the NX300 a few days ago, and it piqued my interest. But when I checked online, they didn't seem to have the thing in stock anywhere in the entire state -- no black, no white. But, I figured I'd go to my local store and look around today.

Well, the first thing I noticed was the price being $100 off, at $699.99, so I went ahead and asked if they had any in stock. (18-55mm OIS lens kit, I suppose I should mention....)

And it turned out that they did -- they had one BROWN camera in stock. Eeesh, not exactly what I had in mind. But then the guy said that he just got notice that morning of a new package deal -- get a just-released Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 tablet for $199.99 off if you buy the camera -- and the tablet goes for $199.99. So, buy the camera for $100 off, and get a free tablet? I suppose I could go for that, even if all they had was a dang brown one.

So, I bit on that, and as they're ringing me up, they say that wait, I still get the $10 gift card you get if you "buy" the tablet, so they tossed that in, too. It took quite a bit of work at the checkout terminal and a manager override, but it rang up with the camera at $599.99 and the tablet at $99.99, for a total of $699.98. I'm already well-stocked with tablets, but I'm sure I can get a friend or co-worker to bite on the tablet at a bit of a discount, and that should bring the final damage to my wallet down quite nicely.

At any rate, if any of that sounds good to you, you might pop into your local store and see if you can get the same deal.

As for me, and my first couple of sessions with the camera, my feelings are a bit mixed. Some things are just COMPLETELY odd, like how if you breathe on any of the Picture Wizard settings, you can't get into any of the special effect features. And while I really like the on-screen level quite a lot, it's just about completely useless, as you can get well outside of "level" and it'll still give you the green bars. And the documentation isn't much better than useless, either -- for instance, I would like to learn more about the "color" setting in the Picture Wizards, but "it's just there" is about all you get from the skimpy little manual.

And speaking of color, I'm a JPEG shooter, and indeed, the picture quality is a bit "reserved." Yes, I want more saturation, and I'm not even sure what I need to do with the contrast, but I'm sure not getting the kind of contrast I want. I'll have to try going up or bumping it down, and see what happens. And while for the most part the color did seem to be on the "accurate" side, without noticeable color casts, I was doing exposure bracketing, and at times I got some pretty wonky results. There were some bracketed sets that seemed to have pretty different colors to each shot, and every now and then I would get a "last bracketed shot" that presumably didn't get "distortion corrected," as the sides were far different from all of the rest of the shots.

So, I've got some learning to do. I just updated the firmware, though I don't know if it'll take care of anything I've got any issues with. At this point I'm not opening up the software/instructions package, but it appears that I can't get that "iLauncher" program any way except for getting it off of the CD. I was able to update the camera without it, but the camera sure doesn't see the lens update, when I try to just put it onto the SD card.

Anyway, so I'll keep on chipping away at it, and hopefully I'll be able to get the image quality (mainly talking about color and contrast here) I want out of the camera, and figure out how a few things work. Hopefully I'll have some decent pictures to share some day!

Tom Hoots
http://www.pbase.com/thoots
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4330317199/albums

Samsung NX300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow