Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 3,249Gear list
Re: Rockwell's Target Audience
In reply to skanter, 7 months ago

skanter wrote:

howardroark wrote:.

I get your point and its a good one, but I'm going to present a counterargument anyway. What about someone who enjoys the technical aspect more than the artistic? What if someone wants to take really crappy shots, thinks they look awesome, and then print them at a huge size while retaining all that awesomely crappy detail? Does one have to be a great artist in order to enjoy photography or expensive equipment? Knowing how to use that expensive equipment is necessary to make the money worth spending, but I don't think a lack of the all powerful "eye" should make people enjoy the process any less (you know, "you really have a great eye" people say about photographers that can compose a shot, nevermind all the technical stuff that goes into expressing that "eye").

People certainly have a right spend large sums of money on equipment and use it however they want. But I find it inappropriate for people with little understanding of the creative aspects of photography to buy expensive, top flight equipment. Some people buy gear and just keep testing it, without taking any real photos. What's the point? Just collecting high-tech toys? One needn't be a "great artist" to start learning about the principles of composition, and what makes a good photograph.

IMO people should "earn" the quality of equipment they use by putting in the time and effort needed to achieve some level of skill and understanding.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

Both of you make the very point imo.

If you buy something costing $1000 and you have $1000 of fun (given you can afford spending it) it's alright.No matter what the output is.This is enjoying your gear.

In the old days when equipment wasn't as high tech as today the masters of photography took amazing shots imo boiling down to composition and light.This is mastering your equipement and subject.

A while ago (believe it was Craig/Guidenet correct me if I am wrong) posted a youtube link about studium and punctum, for me quite an eyeopener though subliminally that's what I was after, not knowing this was already figured out

This year I went to Paris and had a look around in Galeries Lafayette. They had a €175.000 pig ugly watch on display (and other cheap ones costing no more than €49.000). If your watch is nice nobody will bring it up, but if it's oversized and ugly it will draw attention.This is braggingrights (big ugly watch> big camera).

So, enjoying the technical side of things, the artistic and status.

Think we got most things covered

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow