Oh My!...Rockwell's Review on the 70D Locked

Started Sep 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
skanter
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,647Gear list
Re: Rockwell's Target Audience
In reply to howardroark, Sep 14, 2013

howardroark wrote:.

I get your point and its a good one, but I'm going to present a counterargument anyway. What about someone who enjoys the technical aspect more than the artistic? What if someone wants to take really crappy shots, thinks they look awesome, and then print them at a huge size while retaining all that awesomely crappy detail? Does one have to be a great artist in order to enjoy photography or expensive equipment? Knowing how to use that expensive equipment is necessary to make the money worth spending, but I don't think a lack of the all powerful "eye" should make people enjoy the process any less (you know, "you really have a great eye" people say about photographers that can compose a shot, nevermind all the technical stuff that goes into expressing that "eye").

People certainly have a right spend large sums of money on equipment and use it however they want. But I find it inappropriate for people with little understanding of the creative aspects of photography to buy expensive, top flight equipment. Some people buy gear and just keep testing it, without taking any real photos.  What's the point? Just collecting high-tech toys?  One needn't be a "great artist" to start learning about the principles of composition,  and what makes a good photograph.

IMO people should "earn" the quality of equipment they use by putting in the time and effort needed to achieve some level of skill and understanding.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow