Its official. Oly AF sucks!

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Dan
Dan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,247Gear list
Like?
Re: Its official. Oly AF sucks!
In reply to windsprite, 11 months ago

Hey Julie I guess either my memory is very short or one of a couple other things.

As I remember...the E-1 and original 50-200 weren't too bad in C-AF with soccer for me and that was the way I always shot.  Yeah from time to time I'd have some off but not too many really.  So was this due to only 5 MP "masking" the off ones or the lens not being so quick to jump from here to eternity and by the time it thought about doing it the camera had "called it back" so to speak?  Or something else I was doing...for soccer with the E1 and original 50-200 it was definitely C-AF for me.

With the E3 pretty much the same until I got the SWD but then I started getting the here to eternity shots from time to time...not an outrageous number but always enough and always made me wonder what the heck does this camera think is in focus...and maybe this is what is the core issue...just the timing of it all and the signals going back and forth?

Like the other gentleman I always just used the center point and focused on the middle section...thereby cutting them in half and not loosing either their head or toes too often! 

Which brings me to what I meant Louis about the "a lot has been learned over the years"...that's Nikon years with their F5/F100's and previous models.  During this time Olympus wasn't working on their AF at all.  I remember reading once in a Nikon brochure regarding the F5 (I think it was the F5) about some photographer taking photos of some car coming at him at like 100 mph or something faster and every frame was in focus from quite a distance till it went right by him.

My initial tests with the D3 of a motorcycle in very dim light made me a believer in Nikon C-AF.  When using the Oly E3 in similar light and setting it to take picts only when in focus the shooting rate was obvious to hear it was slowing down/no where near the max and then on the monitor of those taken most would be off slightly to more than a bit off.  With the D3 the camera didn't slow down and every frame was excellent...I was amazed.  Really I was just flabbergasted that the frame rate was just brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...I mean frame after frame just chugging away.

Testing with cars coming down the road at higher speeds also was wonderful and just confirmed what I was expecting...I did this side by side for awhile...maybe 3 days after that it was well the Nikon nails it everytime.  Maybe I am doing something that makes me "Nikon" friendly and likewise you were doing something that was making the Nikon not so friendly.

Anyhow, I am hoping for the best with this new Olympus E-M1 and am thinking about possibly getting the one...the wireless is quite intriguing for doing some astrophotography and I could easily see getting by with just the 12-40 and 40-150 lens.

Time will tell.

Dan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow