Would love PENTAX-A SMC 50mm f1.2 on a full frame!

Started Sep 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,665Gear list
Like?
Re: Would love PENTAX-A SMC 50mm f1.2 on a full frame!
In reply to steephill, Sep 13, 2013

steephill wrote:

It performs very similarly to the other 50mm lenses apart from wide open of course where it has what can kindly be described as a "dreamy" quality. That is to say low contrast and resolution.

Hmmm, a little harsh. I agree with low contrast wide open, but resolution.... it depends...(read on)

The dreamy quality of the extreme aperture is "enhanced" by the low contrast and by the fact that brighter parts of the image show a halo, when the lens is used wide open or close to that.

Here's a full res pic of my little one with the smc-a 50 f/1.2

This is a moody lens, definitely a "she-lens". Haha! There are things it likes (read: low light) and things it doesn't, like shooting at f/1.2 in sunlight. There is so much glass in this puppy that it must be hard to control internal reflections - which is probably why it never got the star designation. I'm also pretty sure wide open performance was optimized for subjects at portrait distance, 3 to 4 feet away, not subjects 30 yards away (based solely on my experience). On paper it might not look that good - i can imagine it would flunk a resolution chart test.

The lens i have that most resembles the 50/1.2 is the FA 43 Limited, which is also accused of being unsharp wide open, with a moody rendering. The 50 is moodier, no doubt. From a technical aspect, the FA43 will out-class it already at f/1.9. But take them both for a spin and there's no denying that the 50/1.2 definitely has its charm, and some advantages too.

Anyway, if you close it down to a logical f/4ish, it becomes a very well behaved lens (sharp to the edges, contrasty...) with a nice "3D-pop".

SRS sold the last UK stock a few years ago at £400.

-- hide signature --

Steve
www.pbase.com/steephill

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow