Its official. Oly AF sucks!

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 27,817
Like?
Re: Its official. Oly AF sucks!
In reply to windsprite, 10 months ago

windsprite wrote:

But finally, I'm still amazed Dan could use the D3 in C-AF mode for static objects. I accidentally left my D3 in C-AF mode for an hour, and it missed every (static) shot. Entirely my own fault, it isn't supposed to be used like that, but it is interesting that Dan's will put up with it and mine would not.

You can't just accidentally switch over to AF-C and hope to have success on stationary subjects. There are other settings you need to change to make it work. I think that must be the case, anyway. It's hard to recall the settings, because like Dan I have not switched out of AF-C once in the past three years. It's one of the best things about shooting Nikon. Set the camera up right, and you never worry about switching over to AF-S or MF again. You can shoot a running athlete, and the next split second you can do a portrait, without changing any settings. Very useful.

That coincides with my experience. It took me quite a while to work out that the best settings for fast moving subjects were pretty much the same as you use. Then they seem to work OK for most things. The point is, I think that a static subject in good light is not demanding - most of the other modes (like AF-S, focus priority) are about idiot proofing the AF. AF-C and shutter priority work just fine as long as you don't press the shutter before it's focussed, and if you're using the AF-On button, that's highly unlikely, since you'll deliberately leave it pressed until its focussed.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow