windsprite
Senior MemberPosts: 2,051Gear list
Like?
Re: Oly's latest DSLR AF sucked.
In reply to SHood, Sep 13, 2013

SHood wrote:

windsprite wrote:

rovingtim wrote:

I also bought quite early, but perhaps not early enough. The only question is why Oly allowed their flagship AF to drift off like that.

Perhaps it would be more accurate to say "a significant number of E3/E5's had messy AF's".

I bought my E-3 on preorder, and so did a lot of other people who had wonky AF. We had some of the very earliest copies. (Never again will I be an early adopter of any brand camera, I can tell you that .... ) I consulted the camera shop owner, and Olympus told him to exchange mine for a new copy, which also must have been a fairly early sample. My two E-3s performed about the same. Most people who had problems with the AF ended up using more than one body, either because they got an exchange or they were pros who had bought an extra for backup. It seems like they generally found issues with all their E-3s, but often some behaved better than others by comparison. So yeah, I think there were bad copies in fairly significant numbers. I think there were good copies as well. It sounds like Louis was lucky.

Julie

Sample consistency will be one of the advantages of sensor based PDAF. And since this is the first iteration of on-sensor PDAF we should see significant improvements with future bodies as more effort will be put into PDAF sensors by Olympus and Sony.

I'm kind of glad I have a good camera now, so I don't have to pin my hopes on new technology or be a guinea pig.

Julie

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +36 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow