Is the Nikon 24-70 sharper than the 1.8G primes?

Started Sep 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ProfessorJon
Regular MemberPosts: 489
Like?
Is the Nikon 24-70 sharper than the 1.8G primes?
Sep 13, 2013

I hesitate to post this one because I fear that it will get ugly. Which is certainly not my intent. But I’m wondering. Couldn’t find any discussion specifically related to sharpness here. So let’s give it a shot...

In considering getting a D800, moving from DX to FX, I am looking at what lenses would be best for the mid range. The 24-70 and the 1.8G primes are contenders, among others. I’ve been looking at this comparison link:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=618&Camera=614&Sample=0&FLI=1&API=0&LensComp=802&CameraComp=614&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=2

Trying out different settings (e.g., f2.8, 8, 11) and comparing the 24-70 lens at appropriate focal lengths (28, 50, 70 mm) to the 1.8G primes (28, 50, 85 mm) it seems that the 24-70 is sharper in the center and mid-frame whereas the primes are sharper in the corners. I’d think that the corners are the least important. And I’ve read many people here saying how they prefer the sharpness of the primes over the 24-70.

So I’m wondering if these comparisons are misleading or what thoughts people may have when considering such lenses. Thanks!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow