Olympus Pen F 40mm 1.4 comments

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
neonexxer
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus Pen F 40mm 1.4 comments
In reply to saintz, 11 months ago

Sorry to hear about your less than happy experience with the lens, but I have to agree with Zink above in that you may have just had a spot of bad luck with your copy and adapter.

My first Pen-F lens was a 38/1.8.  The front element suffered from some fungus at the periphery, but after the initial scare, I got it professionaly cleaned and have since aqcuired an additional copy, plus 2 copies of the 40/1.4.  I got the extra ones because, for the price I paid, and for their size, they're just so darn good and wanted to make sure I'd always have one available for use.

In and around the same FL and max aperture range, I also use a couple of Canon 50mm/1.4s (FD and FDn), a Voigtlander 35/1.4, a SAL35F18, SAL50F18, SEL35F18.  If had to whittle my collection down to just one item in that range, I'd keep my Pen-F 40/1.4. Both of them

Focus peaking works well for me at any aperture, and the fact that there's no AF motor to burden the battery (or CPU-taxing distortion correction), my Nex5N happily keeps snapping away on a single battery for much longer (easily >200 additional shots) than with any AF lens I own.  Flare can pose a problem sometimes, but not too hard to mitigate with my hand as a improvised shade.

In spite of its dimunitive size, the lens is built very durably.  I haven't needed to "baby" the camera and lens, and because of that, found that I take the combo out more often.  My 5N will probably wear out its shutter before the Pen-F calls it a day.  But if that happens, I can replace it with another 5N. Or 5R/5T.  Or, for that matter - a M43 body and experience the lens with a different crop!

neonexxer's gear list:neonexxer's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A37 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OMG!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow