Its official. Oly AF sucks!

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Kiwi Scribe
Regular MemberPosts: 372
Like?
Re: Its official. Oly AF sucks!
In reply to Louis_Dobson, 11 months ago

I have had consistent success photographing athletes running at me with the E3 C-AF. I haven't tried sports that involve complex movements. And I haven't got a Nikon D-whatever to compare to. I haven't got an EM-5 either.

I see complaints about the E3 C-AF on a Flickr forum, usually from people whose photo-stream suggests they haven't invested much time if any in sports shooting. Which is not to say the E3 has great C-AF, but I feel you need to work on technique. I aim the centre AF point at the athlete's crotch and resist the temptation to glance at anything else—plenty of time to look at all those bits later. I assign focus to the AFL button. Focus is my thumb's task. My index finger only has to think about when to shoot.

The shot below was part of a sequence. All preceding shots were in focus, but this was the one to keep. The light was low and it was raining lightly.

I'll make the EM-1 work. If I were a pro sports shooter, I'd buy a D-whatever or Whatever-D, but I'm not.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow