My shots with the Olympus OM-D EM-1; It's a rather fab camera!

Started Sep 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
New Daddy
Regular MemberPosts: 463Gear list
Like?
Autofocus speed with PDAF?
In reply to Edmond Terakopian, Sep 13, 2013

Thanks for sharing your experience and the photos. I'm very interested in the new camera. I have first-generation Panny m4/3s and had my eyes set on GX-7 for upgrade. But I think EM-1 has now become the contender for not only the upgrade but replacement for my Nikon.

I've kept my Nikon to shoot at kids' sports. As you probably know, m4/3 always fell a little short on locking focus on fast moving subjects, especially ones that move towards or away from you. That's the inherent shortcoming of CDAF.  What was the AF like with hybrid-AF when you took shots of the horse? I see a sample on Flickr and it looks fiine. If EM-1 is helped by the PDAF to maintain focus on a horse, I think it will do fine at kids' sports. (Surely, my kids can't gallop as fast as a horse, I think. ^^ )  Did you have trouble tracking the horse as it moved towards you, rather than across the scene? Were the shots bracketed? Did you get a good yield?

Yes, this is a very specific question, but I hope it is something many others are also wondering about.

New Daddy's gear list:New Daddy's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus TG-820 iHS Nikon D40 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow