Its official. Oly AF sucks!

Started Sep 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,611Gear list
Like?
Re: It's what I expected.
In reply to BigBen08, Sep 13, 2013

BigBen08 wrote:

CAF is important to you, I can understand your disappointment.

I've been amazed how ofter I use CAF (and change focus points) now that I have a system that has great CAF (and have some very shallow dof lenses). Maybe my 4/3 system had enough DOF to cover the focusing errors using SAF can cause? Rarely does the subject to camera distance remain fixed using a camera hand held and shooting live subjects, especially if both people are standing. Using a fast tele lens wide open for portraits needs CAF as much as doing a bird in flight would. Using something like a 85mm f1.8 wide open in SAF mode (or focus/recompose due to limited focus points) is asking for a low keeper rate. That was my experience anyway.

If there is focus lag and you are using focus release, it starts to feel like you are using a P&S again trying to capture the moment. Especially if the lens starts hunting in CAF mode.

In the future, this mirrorless technology is very likely to surpass an OVF camera's performance. I'm going to stick with the old school system until this happens. I would venture to guess this future performance increase will be with m4/3 type native glass, not with adapted 4/3 legacy lenses.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow