Olympus Pen F 40mm 1.4 comments

Started Sep 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
saintz
Regular MemberPosts: 499Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus Pen F 40mm 1.4 comments
In reply to Habs Fan27, Sep 13, 2013

I had this lens and sold it.

The real benefit of this lens is the size. It's tiny, and the adapter is also tiny. The build quality and focus feel is very good. The 40mm length makes it a little more general purpose and a little less of a portrait lens than the typical 50mm. It's also fast at f1.4, which is common for 50mm lenses but rare for anything wider. On paper, this seemed the best lens for the NEX.

As for the negatives, I found the lens too soft. I am not a sharpness junkie, and this is probably the only lens I've ever sold for being too soft. Wide open it's just too soft and that softness makes it also very difficult to focus using focus peaking, which further exacerbates the problem. Looking back, I found all of my shots with this lens were just blurry and uninspiring. Stopped down it performs better, but you're paying a premium for speed.

I would probably look at the cheaper 38 since you won't be shooting wide open. Or really the Sigma 30 is a better bet. Cheaper, about the same size, very sharp, and although slower, you might be stopping the PEN down to f2.8 often anyway.

Also, the attachment mechanism is not very good. I once had the lens come unseated on a vacation and had to leave the camera behind because I couldn't get it to latch back on securely to the adapter.

saintz's gear list:saintz's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OMG!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow