FZ200 intelligent zoom

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Ronomy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,329Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ200 intelligent zoom
In reply to MoreGooderPhotos, 10 months ago

MoreGooderPhotos wrote:

Most of my shots are of birds, since I'm an avid birder. I find that 16:9 ends up being cropped significantly in most shots since the bird is somewhere near the middle of the frame. I crop the image for framing and composition.

I find that using izoom really helps for birding.With, izoom, I can get as much of the animal in the frame as possible, and make sure the subject is in focus and not a branch or leaf in the foreground. I haven't tried ires yet, and don't see much point in it for birding frankly.

Oh, and let me just add this: Using my Nikon TC-E17ED 1.7X TC + izoom, max effective focal length is 600 *1.7* 4 = 4080mm. With image stabilization switched on I can focus on a bird hand held with pretty damn good results. It's simply amazing to me. If the bird is a spastic bird like a typical flycatcher it's usually not possible to get the shot. Lazy birds like Kingfishers and Herons, though, make great subjects for this mode.

If only the Nikon 1.7 TC wasn't so darn heavy.....

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I feel like 2/3'rds Rice Krispies. Past "Snap" and "Crackle" but just shy of "Pop".

Oops.  I just need to reply to my own reply and correct something.  Apparently, when you switch on izoom you inadvertently also switch on ires, but the sharpening and noise reduction that ires performs only applies to the jpeg image (as you would expect).

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I feel like 2/3'rds Rice Krispies. Past "Snap" and "Crackle" but just shy of "Pop".

Izoom extends focal length by a factor of 2 so its a 2040mm equivalent. Resolution drops by a factor of 4. Max izoom crop is 3mp.

Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow