Olympus: Nice mFT line-up doomed by pricing?

Started Sep 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,243Gear list
Like?
Olympus: Nice mFT line-up doomed by pricing?
Sep 13, 2013

I like what Olympus has been doing in evolving their mFT line-up over the past year or so, some smartly designed bodies in a spectrum of user niches built around a competitive sensor. And I'm enjoying the revival of the E-xxx sized DSLR in the form of the very capable like-sized E-M1:

http://j.mp/161dkDT

(note: due to a bug in camerasize.com, arrow the E-PL5 right, then left again to place all cameras level with each other)

But I question their ability to sustain sales relative to their competition both within mFT itself and compared to APS-C mirrorless and DSLR cameras.

The E-P5 jumps out at $1000 sans EVF when compared to the same-priced GX7 with a built-in EVF. The now long-in-the-tooth E-M5, finally discounted to $899, still has its work cut out against the 24MP sensored D5200 at $799. And the new E-M1 at $1399 will only appeal to die hard mFT/Olympus fans given competitors like the 24 MP sensored and weathersealed D7100 at $1199.

Only the E-PL5, when on sale for $499, truly competes on price against the likes of the NEX-5N.

Yes, they have a now solid line-up of lenses going for them, and the new ability of the E-M1 to fast AF HG and SHG 4/3's zooms further expands upon this, but against the brand recognition, lens catalog and imaging capabilities of competitors like the 24MP Nikon D5200 and D7100 they really have their work cut out.

Time will tell.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Nikon D5200 Nikon D7100 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow