Started Sep 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jderrico
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
Nero Software
Sep 13, 2013

I bought a new computer yesterday, and it came with some Nero software preinstalled on it.  Apparently, the default mode for this software was to backup every photographic file I had.  It changed the name of every photographic file I have on my computer and on both of my external hard drives.  Some files were encrypted by Nero, but most had their name changed by adding "BackItUp" to the file name.  I couldn't believe it.  Every RAW file I have now has a BackItUp name.  I uninstalled Nero, but I just wanted to warn others to uninstall this piece of garbage if they find it on a new computer.  It's exactly like a bad worm or virus, infecting every photographic file you might have.  I called Nero Customer Service (paying $1.29 per minute for the privilege) and asked them how I could undo what Nero did.  The only thing "Chris" kept telling me is that I must have done this to myself, in spite of my telling him that I didn't even know this software was on my computer until it was too late.  His ultimate solution was for me to change the extension of every affected file.  I'm not sure I can change the extension to all my RAW files without screwing them up, but even if I could, I'm not going to spend the next several years changing the extensions on tens of thousands of RAW and other files.  As a matter of fact, I'm not going to spend five minutes working on this absolutely devastating problem.  What a deal!

Please don't write to me telling me about the wonders of Nero.  I'm not in the mood.  If you're in love with Nero software, please keep it to yourself.  For all others, perhaps I've saved someone from a similar headache.

Apparently, Nero is also a CD-writing tool.  I uninstalled that too.

I can't tell you about the kind of future I wish for Nero.  It's not cool.

jderrico's gear list:jderrico's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow