Started Sep 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DickyAus
Contributing MemberPosts: 777Gear list
Like?
HS50 returned but still not quite right
Sep 13, 2013

My HS50 has returned from Fuji for the second time. This time they found no fault with it and sent me a new USB cable suggesting my original was at fault. I still get the same fault - if I plug the USB cable into the camera and PC then switch the camera on it fails to connect. Not only that, it sets the camera back to the initial setup state and destroys the Window's driver. Old farts like me don't like 'hot plugging' things even though USB is supposedly designed to do just that. With nothing to lose I switched the camera on and then hooked up the cable and lo and behold the USB connection works (after Windows has re-installed the HS50 driver). Does anyone else have this problem?

My initial delight with the HS50 long ago turned to disappointment when I tried macro mode. Other contributors to this forum (Dave and Herbie) tried add-n diopter filters and produced some excellent images albeit using quite expensive glass.  While waiting for the return of my camera I noticed some very cheap filters online and thought I would venture $15 on a set of +1, +2, +4 and +10 diopter filters. I though if I got half decent results I would then consider a quality piece of glass. I have yet to spend the time getting to understand them but my initial shots got me close enough to timid subjects to get encouraging results.

+4 diopters at about 30cm.

+10 diopters at 30cm handheld in a fair bit of wind. Not much DOF though.

My feathered friend is never far away, they nest at this time of year and she's on the lookout for the Postie to buzz him until he leaves her territory. Luckily she doesn't bite the hand that feeds her and her brood.

The wind is ruffling her feathers, a few highlights blown but recoverable.

Dicky

DickyAus's gear list:DickyAus's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow