Its official. Oly AF sucks!

Started Sep 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
windsprite
Senior MemberPosts: 2,064Gear list
Like?
Re: Its official. Oly AF sucks!
In reply to Dan, Sep 13, 2013

Dan wrote:

yeah I've tried it both ways in the past...doesn't make much difference.

For large objects the focus lock works...for these "phantoms" it's always a case of "what the heck does it think is in focus in this shot...cuz nothing is?".

Anyhow, thanks for the reply.

Dan

IMO it's not "thinking" at all, Dan. Try this: in C-AF, track a subject coming toward you, with the AF button half pressed. Don't fire any shots. Just observe the image in the VF. I did this with my E-3s, and what I saw was that the focus was "bouncing" in rhythm: correct focus, focus several meters in front of subject, correct focus, focus several meters in front, etc. That really clarified the many "WTF?!" moments I had with the E-3. I had a single point trained perfectly on the subject, and there was simply no reason that a properly working camera would focus several meters ahead of it.

I think the same thing must have been happening in S-AF as well, because literally I could not even get that camera to hit the broad side of a barn consistently.

Julie

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +36 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow