Its official. Oly AF sucks!

Started Sep 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Senior MemberPosts: 2,179Gear list
Re: Its official. Oly AF sucks!
In reply to Dan, Sep 13, 2013

Dan wrote:

yeah I've tried it both ways in the past...doesn't make much difference.

For large objects the focus lock works...for these "phantoms" it's always a case of "what the heck does it think is in focus in this shot...cuz nothing is?".

Anyhow, thanks for the reply.

IMO it's not "thinking" at all, Dan. Try this: in C-AF, track a subject coming toward you, with the AF button half pressed. Don't fire any shots. Just observe the image in the VF. I did this with my E-3s, and what I saw was that the focus was "bouncing" in rhythm: correct focus, focus several meters in front of subject, correct focus, focus several meters in front, etc. That really clarified the many "WTF?!" moments I had with the E-3. I had a single point trained perfectly on the subject, and there was simply no reason that a properly working camera would focus several meters ahead of it.

I think the same thing must have been happening in S-AF as well, because literally I could not even get that camera to hit the broad side of a barn consistently.

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +39 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow