Started Sep 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Werner Gansz
Contributing MemberPosts: 541
Like?
Question about shooting the Nikon 1 with F mount lenses
Sep 12, 2013

I've read quite a lot about using the Nikon 1 system with F mount lenses with the FT1 adapter.  I'm aware that a recent firmware update now allows the Nikon 1 to work in continuous track on the center focus point.

What I am trying to figure out is how good does the lens have to be for a 2.7 crop in a Nikon 1 to provide a better picture than just cropping an FX or DX image to equivalent focal length?  Has anyone seen a detailed analysis on how this works?

For example, I have a 70-300 VR.  I know from testing that if I shoot at 240mm on my D7000 and crop to 300mm the image looks sharper than if I shoot at 300mm.  If I put the 70-300 on a Nikon 1 and shoot at 300mm I will get a crop of 810mm, basically a 14 MP soft image, probably very soft.  There's not much that I can do with a 14MP soft image.   If I shoot at 240mm, the image will be better but a 2.7 crop seems to me is pushing it on that lens.

I can crop my D7000 image by 1.8 (it already has a 1.5 crop factor) to get the same image and still have a 5 MP image and I don't think the resulting picture is pixel limited on a computer screen.  The image that I am looking at appears to be limited by the quality of the glass.

Basically my question is are you really gaining anything by shooting F mount lenses on the Nikon vs. just cropping?  How good does the glass have to be to better than cropping a DX or FX image?

-- hide signature --
Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 (Lumix DMC-FT1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow