Nikon d7100 lens recommendations?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Buzz Lightyear
Regular MemberPosts: 342Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon d7100 lens recommendations?
In reply to JMG1397, 7 months ago

Like a few people have already said, it would be better to know what kind of shooting you do in order to focus recommendations for lenses. That being said, I think I can summarize a few areas where most people spend time shooting:

1. Portraits and low light conditions. For this you definitely need a fast prime lens. Your choice for either 35mm, 50mm or 85mm f/1.4, f/1.8 versions (although personally I think 85mm is bit long for many situations, especially on a DX camera).

2. A "walking around lens" that will give you excellent image quality for some wide-angle and zoom capabilities. Two of the best: Nikon 16-85mm VR or Sigma 17-70 OS.

3. True telephoto capabilities. The Nikon 55-300mm gives you good telephoto and some mid-range reach for a very reasonable cost. If you know how to control its "sweet spots", it will give you excellent IQ -- but the Nikon 70-300 is a better lens, if you can afford the extra $$$.

Depending on what kind of shooting you do, you might be able to get away with only 2 of these category selections.

Buzz Lightyear's gear list:Buzz Lightyear's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow