Olympus Pen F 40mm 1.4 comments

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,434
Like?
Re: Olympus Pen F 40mm 1.4 comments
In reply to Habs Fan27, 11 months ago

Habs Fan27 wrote:

I've gone on a bit of a lens buying spree with the NEX 16mm and wide angle adapter in the mail right now. I was looking for a Pen 38mm as it's quite highly regarded but have an opportunity to get the 40mm instead.

You've got a better lens.

Handling wise, are there any issues? I've heard that it does not have clicks at every aperture stop.

It clicks on every f-stop, though the click is soft. If it doesn't click it means it's broken or poorly repaired. You can also pull the aperture ring and rotate it 180deg and get EV settings instead of f-stop.

Also, how well does it work with focus peaking at wider apertures (1.4 to 2.8)?

It's ok. It does lose contrast wide open, but nothing as bad as the old Konica/Minolta/Canon/Nikon/OMOlympus. It's a bit worse than SEL5018, but not by much.

I currently use a Konica Hexanon 40mm so basically I was hoping for something more useable around f2. It's also not the easiest lens to manual focus.

I've seen a few 38/40mm sharpness comparisons which seem to be a toss up. It would seem that the 40mm has lower contrast but that could be the processing on the images I've seen. Bokeh by all accounts is less busy - any comments? If anyone has some wide open shots, I'd like to see that.

I haven't used 38mm lens, so don't know how it compares. The 40/1.4 is close to SEL5018 in many respects, it has even better bokeh with less bokeh CA than Sony. But it also flares a lot more than Sony lens. It a small fun lens, but for practical reasons I would suggest looking at Sony SEL5018, especially taking into account that the used lenses cost almost the same. The SEL5018 will also work in the future FF cameras and Zuiko will not.

Here is an old test chart:

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OMG!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow