FF NEX: Replacement for a too big DSLR or too expensive Leica?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alohaman
Regular MemberPosts: 429Gear list
Like?
FF NEX: Replacement for a too big DSLR or too expensive Leica?
7 months ago

With the soon-to-come FF NEX, many threads started on what kind of lenses this FF body will come (or should come) with.  So there are many suggestions and debates about various focal length primes/zooms and various speeds of these lenses. We all hope these lenses will also be inexpensive (yeah, good luck on this one).

Just a few moments ago while thinking about all of this, it dawned on me: What is this new FF NEX going to "replace", a too big DSLR or a too expensive Leica?  I already went from a too big Canon 5D2 to a less big T4i and a NEX-7, so it was not going to replace a too big DSLR. So, FOR ME, the only thing left was a "replacement" of a too expensive digital Leica with a more affordable (I hope) FF NEX.

With that in mind, all I need from Sony FF lenses are focal lengths of 24, 50 and 90mm with max aperture of f/2.0-2.8.  Optical stabilization, autofocus and autoexposure would be good too have, but what I really want is very high IQ.

The debate about what FF NEX lenses Sony will/should make arises when the FF NEX is seen as the only camera you want/need/can afford.  You can't have everything in one camera + 2-4 lens kit. You have to compromise on size, weight, IQ, features (OSS,AF, etc) and price.

So, as you're debating about what the new FF NEX and its lenses are (or should be), think about where you're coming from.  Many debates could be about "apples and oranges" since you're coming from many different angles.  How many of you would be satisfied with only high IQ 24, 50, 90mm FF emount primes?  I would

BTW: You can get by with one camera and one lens if you have only one specific use for the combo.  Henri Cartier-Bresson is a good example of this: Leica body + 50mm lens.

Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow