Its official. Oly AF sucks!

Started Sep 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dan
Dan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,255Gear list
Like?
Re: Its official. Oly AF sucks!
In reply to Dan, Sep 12, 2013

And the winner is...Nikon/Olympus/Nikon/Olympus but overall it has to be the Nikon D3 and 300f4 AFS.

Some things the E3 does really well...first and foremost I had the E3 in S-AF...at the end of my testing I put the E3 in C-AF and well that's a no brainer it just jumps all over the place on relatively static objects.  I think I've said this in the past too...even with soccer players (fairly large relatively slow moving objects) you're tracking someone in C-AF with the Oly and then a fly or something gets snagged by the processor and the focus jumps from 35 yards to minimum or all the way to the end of the field. The SWD is just so fast and Oly's algorithm isn't capable of controlling it.

Anyhow on relatively simple and straightforward objects with Nikon 300 AFS in full range mode it's probably a toss up...the Oly hangs right in there in S-AF...non moving objects.  Put the Nikon into 3m to infinity and then the Nikon wins but not by much...it's just able at this point to "realize" I don't have to check close where the Oly still does from time to time.

Toss in a little confusion into the background ie I want just the tree branch 30 yards in front of the shiny leaves from the next tree and the Nikon wins.  It just seems even though the Olympus is selected for single point it's using those other points and getting confused or it's focus sensor is just to large move down and grab a little larger size section of the branch and the Oly jumps right to it...it will grab the "smaller" object in front from time to time but probably just enough to frustrate one really bad when you're trying to grab something meaningful and it keeps hopping to the further object.  The Nikon really handles these "changes" of close in the view finder but large distance really well...ie almost like my mind is tellling it when to change.  Moving a little left a little left and then bang on it switches right when I'd expect it too...when going through this with the Olympus I was half hitting the focus button as I'd move left or right...with the Nikon I wouldn't have to do this since the Nikon was in C-AF for the entire testing.

Anyhow, pretty much as I remember things.  This particular Olympus body and 50-200SWD really do snap into place with the right target but you just have to be a little more careful of your expectations and maybe I'm not using the best technique since I've been away from consistent use of the Olympus gear.  I know I've gotten plenty of great shots of soccer players on the field and in poses off the field with Olympus gear in the past.

Dan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow