Its official. Oly AF sucks!

Started Sep 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Beach Bum
Contributing MemberPosts: 929
Like?
Actually, Oly CDAF is well ahead of CaNikon
In reply to Big Ga, Sep 12, 2013

I'm not sure why there are all of these responses claiming that Oly's AF isn't up to par with the best of CaNikon.

Take it from someone who's tested a lot of cameras for autofocus, I would rank Panasonic, Oly, and Sony CDAF well ahead of both Canon and Nikon. Seriously, has anyone here tried a Canon or Nikon P&S recently or a Canon/Nikon DSLR in live view (thereby bypassing the PDAF), with the new Canon 70D being excepted. These two companies literally are clueless with CDAF, and I have no idea when/if they'll figure it out.

While Oly isn't up to Panny's standards with CDAF, they've come pretty close with their recent crop of m4/3. When on-sensor PDAF becomes more commonplace (i.e. 2nd/3rd generation), my prediction is that m4/3 will blow CaNikon out of the water. The reason I say this is because I think it's far more likely that Panny/Oly will make their PDAF/CDAF combo work than CaNikon will ever figure out how to make CDAF work. In other words, I believe that within a year or two, m4/3 autofocus will be better on all counts than $6000 full frame behemoths from Canon or Nikon.

Let's not forged that both CDAF and PDAF have their advantages and disadvantages. What PDAF has in terms of speed, it lacks in accuracy. And vice versa for CDAF. The company that can best combine the two will be the industry leader, and I don't believe that's going to be CaNikon.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow