Is it the large viewfinder?

Is it all the buttons?

Is it the image stabilisation?

Is it the sensor performance?

Is it the frames per second?

Is it the auto-focus system?

Is it the looks?

Is it the price?

There are lots of alternatives to the E-M1, but you need to tell us what's important to you.

Right.  If we assume, for the sake of argument, that the image quality you get with the EM1 (and other recent m43 cameras) is more or less on par with APS-C (close enough for most people) and that you can get sufficiently shallow DOF with available lenses, and basically ignore the sensor size debate, then you're still looking at a $1400 camera versus others in the market.

It does offer things that others don't; it's more compact, though how compact depends a lot on your choice of lenses.  It's full time live view ... that alone is a significant deciding factor.  With the right lenses, it's apparently more weather resistant than anything similarly priced.  And it probably has great build.  There are IS & AF differences.

But you can get great competing cameras for far less money, so you really have to value one of those things.

I use a D7000; a camera you can buy for less, and a couple of the lenses I use with it cost less than the m43 counterparts I would choose to buy.

Personally, even if I were interested in buying into the m43 system, I would have a hard time justifying the price of the EM1.  I don't value the weather resistance enough to want to spend hundreds more and don't see it offering more (at least more that I care about) than I can get for $1000 or less in other systems.

Here's an interesting comparison:

EM1 with 12-40/2.8 for $2200

D600 with 24-85/3.5-4.5 for $2400 (normally $2700)

One is a fair bit more compact than the other, but that's a hard sell.  Interestingly, it's tough to put together an APS-C alternative that looks more compelling.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow