Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
simon173
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
colour calibration and lightroom
11 months ago

Hi, I am new to the forum and this is my first post, I hope you can help...

I fear I may be not be full understanding the entire process of monitor calibration, so I will explain my understanding and hopefully you can correct where I am going wrong.

I have bought a monitor calibration device and it has calibrated my monitor. This gives a new ICC profile of the calibration, which is the new default. What is this calibration the profile of (sRGB, adobe RGB etc). On windows, you can change the color profile of the screen(control panel>color management>advanced>device profile, does this have any bearing on the calibrating from the monitor calibration instrument... does the monitor calibrator, calibrate to the colour space you set here.

I have a good quality monitor- dell u2713h, capable of showing 99% adobe RGB, so lets assume I have calibrated my screen to adobe RGB. I am using lightroom and photoshop, here it seems to be the norm to run in prophoto RGB, as it has the greatest range of colours. However, will I be able to see any of them, do I need to calibrate my monitor to prohoto RGB? As my monitor only shows 99% adobe RGB I can't imagine it comes anywhere close to displaying the greater range of prophoto RGB colours, what happens here?

I have also looked into printing, where I understand I need to load another ICC profile to match the printer and paper combination. Do I need to reload ICC profile as my choice from control panel>color management>advanced>device profile? Instead of whatever the monitor has calibrated the screen to in order to see on screen what the print will look like. Or do I just use soft proofing in lightroom, this will only tell me where the colours are going out of gamut not how they will look when printed??

Hopefully this is not too long winded for you, I appreciate a lot of what I have said may/ may not be wrong, hopefully someone can correct me on where I am going wrong, at the moment it all seems a bit confusing.

thanks,

Si

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow