Hello, I'm coming into the D800 fold. My 1st full-frame DSLR! So excited!

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Grevture
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,802Gear list
Like?
Re: Welcome!
In reply to huyzer, 7 months ago

huyzer wrote:

Thank you for the welcome!

I think I will have fun with the D800, too, unless I get a lemon with the left focus point trouble. Hopefully not.

A good friend of mine got one of the very first D800's to be delivered over here. As it turned out, it has the left AF point issue. But he has never bothered to fix it, he can see it when specifically testing for it, but he feels it has no discernible practical effects on his photography anyway

And besides that, it seem to be fixed by now.

I'm pretty sure this camera, it being full-frame, and 36 MP, will satisfy me forever. For a very, very, very long time, at least.

You put a finger on something which is somewhat problematic for the manufacturers - since a few years back we have reached a plateau of performance where it will take something rather extraordinary to get photographers to replace their cameras as often as has been the norm during the first ten years of digital DSLR's (2000 - 2010).

I shoot a lot of sports and PJ work, and for me my two D3 cameras and one D3s feel very much up to the task still, in spite of my oldest D3 camera turning six years old later this autumn. As much as I would love to have a couple of D4's, the D3 and D3s gets the job done at a much lower cost ...

Oh, great. I'm glad you did have a go at the S5 Pro. Yes, I do love it. I will definitely use it as a second body with my D800. I don't like swapping lenses, due to speed issues/grabbing the shot during weddings. Now I will have a proper backup/2nd camera, and not have to worry about film scanning, and added cost. But then again, my oh my, these D800 file are HUGE! I'm going to have to spend money on drives for storage and backup. People say digital is free shootin'. Ha! There is some cost to it.

Actually, the difference will very probably be less substantial then you think. The S5 Pro has rather massive raw files in relation to its megapixel count (my files from it seem to average around 25 megabyte), while Nikon is pretty good at keeping raw file sizes down, as a rule of thumb Nikon raw files seem to average about 1 megabyte/megapixel, or around 36 megabyte in the case of the D800. So it will probably not be as taxing on storage as you might think

I really do hope the dynamic range of the D800 will blow me away. I've seen some examples of how much can be pull from the shadow, and it does amaze me. I hope I get used to its work flow, and that my computer can handle processing it not too slowly.

It usually takes a little while to adjust one's workflow and habits, but the D800 files really are nice to work with - albeit large and it will stress your computer - but they can take a lot of post processing without giving up quality. And while it might take  you a short time to get used to the exposure system of the D800, it is worth the effort. It works really well once you get to know it.

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow