Hello, I'm coming into the D800 fold. My 1st full-frame DSLR! So excited!

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
romfordbluenose
Contributing MemberPosts: 661Gear list
Like?
Re: Hello, I'm coming into the D800 fold. My 1st full-frame DSLR! So excited!
In reply to huyzer, 10 months ago

huyzer wrote:

mfahim27753 wrote:

Welcome to the D800 club!

You are gonna love it. I haven't had much issue with highlight so far, and I mostly use matrix metering. You should be just fine

-- hide signature --

Hello mfahim27753,
Thank you!
Haha! That's great. I'm glad to hear your experience and confidence in the matrix metering. I'm curious, do you often, sometimes, or never need to use exposure compensation when you use matrix metering?
I'm also glad you haven't had issues with highlights. That's what held me back from digital for the longest time, the abrupt, non-transition when highlights are blown.
Thank you(!),
Huy

I find the D800 exposure system is very good at protecting highlights. If anything it slightly underexposes to protect those highlights.

However because of its fantastic dynamic range its easy enough to adjust the highlights to the edge of being blown and then lighten the shadows in PP for excellent results. Especially in High DR situations.

In low DR situations the exposure is normally spot on.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow