Started Sep 12, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kentwosheds
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
Lumix G6 first impressions.
Sep 12, 2013

I have the Lumix G1 with the 14-45mm, 45-200mm lens, but the memory cover fell off, the flash hot shoe damaged by a third party thumb rest ,with a trip to Africa  coming up I decided to upgrade to the Olympus OMD-em5. When I compared it with the G6 in the shop, despite the better quality of the Olympus I didn't like its handling, the Lumix G6 felt so secure to hold.

I bought the G6 with an Olympus 60mm macro lens, these two are a  good combination.

The rear screen and viewfinder have improved in contrast and clarity, however image quality is on a par with the G1, so disappointing in that respect.

Also the lever for exposure comp. is badly placed, constantly being moved when trying to take shots quickly. I also find some functions that were changed by sws. are now in menus. For someone who wears glasses for reading this is a bind.

I still accidently change the white balance by pressing the 4 way wheel whilst gripping the camera.

Dynamic range is still a problem with the small sensor, having to underexpose to retain highlights.

For travel though it is far better than my much loved Pentax K5, the G6 is very light and its lenses compact.

In short there is no substitute for a larger sensor, in fact the K5 has not moved on much from the IstD 6M Pixel , in real world terms it is difficult to tell the difference between the two with A3 prints.

kentwosheds's gear list:kentwosheds's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Pentax K-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +5 more
kentwosheds's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
good
Action / sports
acceptable
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
acceptable
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
okay
= community average
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow