Its official. Oly AF sucks!

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
WhyNot
Senior MemberPosts: 2,743
Like?
Re: Tried it....
In reply to bofo777, 10 months ago

bofo777 wrote:

WhyNot.. how many shots did it take you...to me there was a definitely a difference when shooting with E-5 vs the video's EM-1 (and looked like video was shot in real time)....The idiosyncrasies of the 50mm at least with my E-5 sometimes but rarely happen when you go back and forth from infinity to closeup but almost never between two objects that are closer together as in the video...John

I did the test again. I used two books about 2½ feet apart with the first about 1½ feet away from the camera. I used the stop watch on an iPad to time the E-520. I started the video and stopped it after 8 focus moves (front to back and back to front are two moves); then I did the same thing with the E-520 with the 50mm – they both took a little more than 14 sec. Not a terribly scientific set up or accuracy but not bad either. I did this in a reasonably lighted room next to the computer so slightly low light ( an exposure would have been at about f/2.8@1/15sec.) I noted that the E-520 always took the lens to an approx focus point and then made a second small adjustment to make it accurate. .. Since I was doing it I tried it with the E-30 and got about the same result and had the same two step focus with 50mm lens, which surprised me as I'd never noticed that before. The 50mm seems to work at it's own pace I'm pretty certain that the 70-300 and 14-54mm lenses are faster and more accurate on the E-30 (but I've never tested it. I don't generally test lenses unless I think there is something wrong with them.) .... Actually I never took the shot only half pressed the shutter button to activate the focus ... well maybe I slipped once and actually took a picture.  Doesn't look like the video show an actual picture being taken.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow