* Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 281, 13 09 11 *

Started Sep 11, 2013 | Photos thread
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
Strawberry Peak - Thanks for the critique
In reply to LouHolland, Sep 12, 2013

LouHolland wrote:

The first is a rather busy and restless shot with a lack of detail, also the overall impression is flat and a bit hectic and not enough seprate the background to make it interesting, the second does the job better, but the latter is a beauty with a wonderfull color scheme and expression.

Lou

Thanks for the critique Lou,

You're absolutely right. The first shot in full sun showing the red was like photographing a pink cotton ball against a faded red flannel sheet. The bush was soft without details and the ground was a warm sandy color.

For me, this image is about the peak and ridge. I'd just hiked back down from the ridge on the left, between peaks. That took about 1 1/2 hours and 1800 of the total 2000 foot elevation difference. I've hiked to the peak several times before the forest fire. It's a gruelling 3 hour climb of 3000 feet, the last part scrambling up rocks with hands and feet. The trail has been closed since the fire and still is. But it was accessible if you knew where to park. It was good to see someone has been doing a lot of work on the trail.

The 2nd shot is backlit. I saw these white glowing bushes on a ridge above me as I hiked down to this point. It wasn't until I hiked around this one, which was next to the trail, that I saw the variation between sunlit color and opaque whispy backlighting.

I'm glad you like the last one. It does show detail and variation with the oof background. Shot from about as close as that lens will focus at the long end of the zoom.

dave gaines wrote:

On Sunday I climbed about 2000 feet through Colby Canyon to reach a ridge between Strawberry Peak and Josephine Peak. ...

A close-up of the seeds. E-5 and 14-35 mm lens at 35 mm, ISO 200, f/8, 1/100 sec.

Seeds emerging from flower

-- hide signature --

Dave

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow