Started Sep 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Richard Franiec
Senior MemberPosts: 2,302Gear list
Like?
Re: Rumors... for what it's worth
In reply to rick decker, Sep 11, 2013

rick decker wrote:

Hi Richard:

I was under the impression that it was size not IQ that prevented lens mfrs from offering OS on the 24-70.

Rick,

This is correct to some extend. In case of Canon EF24-70F2.8 MKII, they were able to reduce the weight of new lens by substantial amount mainly by using engineered high quality composites for some of lens outer components instead of metal. However, they felt that employing additional optic group for IS would compromise IQ. This was (I believe) a tough decision as many users were expecting IS in this lens and were left disappointed. Personally, I would love to have IS on this lens but within the focal range the lens is easily manageable handheld in most circumstances due to high iso performance of related sensors.

A good 24-105 would be a big seller whether FF or APS-C and we have asked Sigma about something in that range. Canon's 24-105 is a big seller from what I understand.

I still have EF24-105F4 lens, now thinking about selling it. This lens, outside of versatility it provided as great travel lens have never satisfied my vision of a "good lens", especially when compared to a new 24-70.

I'm thinking of you using new 18-35 F1.8 lens and comparing it to earlier Sigma zoom lenses. Sometimes it is hard to compromise and go back once you try something really spectacular.

I'm sure that Sigma is more than capable of best FF 24-105 lens on the market and something like that will be a godsend to many enthusiasts and pro's alike. With new approach to optics they already proved the point with recent releases that the best is no longer the domain of the big guys.

I would really like a better and faster super-wide.

You got my vote here!

Cheers

Richard

R

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow